Sinus headache relief that works for one person might not work for you, hence it is important for you to know your options. Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the passage of the nose and the face; under most cases it is a bacterial infection, leading to extreme mucous congestion, headache and discomfort. Sinusitis is diagnosed by sinus headache, feeling of pain in the facial regions and inflammation, tenderness and clogging of the nasal passage, and at times fever.
Of all the symptoms of sinusitis, sinus headache is the most predominant and painful. At times it remains misdiagnose, primarily because it has similar symptoms to that of a migraine. However,the uniqueness of a sinus headache is that it is more severe more during the early morning and reduces with the prolongation of the day.
Sinus Headache Relief – Common Remedies
- Intake of warm saline water: Probably the most common remedy. It reduces nasal clogging and at the same time acts to suppress the headache.
- A humidifier or a saline nasal spray: Another tried and true method.
- Inhaling steam: When performed consistently, around two to three times a day, can be effective to get rid of your sinus headache.
- Antibiotics: Please note that this is only effective for bacterial infection and not viral infection. An antibiotic course stretching over a period of two to three weeks is generally administered. Along with it, nasal corticosteroids like Beclomethasone, Fluticasone, Mometasone , are also useful.
- Antihistamines: For sinusitis caused by allergens, antihistamines like Diphenlyhydramine, Chlorpheniramine, and Clemastine, which are largely OTC drugs, are useful for sinus headache relief.
- Triptans: A medicine commonly used to treat migraines have been found to be effective as a sinus headache relief.
Sinus Headache Relief – Natural Remedies
There are a few natural remedies for sinus headache:
- Bromelain: An enzyme found in pineapples , if taken along with Quercetin (a flavonoid found in coloured vegetables and fruits) have been found to reduce inflammation due to sinusitis and hence bring about a significant sinus headache relief.
- Probiotics: Probiotics such as Lactobacillus is also an effective remedy. It is found abundantly in home made yogurt.
- Herbs: Herbs like willow bark or chinese skull cap, have been used as alternative remedies.
- Homeopathic medicines: Medicines like Arsenic Album, Bryonia Alb, Heper Sulphuricum, Belladona have also been, found to work as sinus headache relief.
Sinus Headache Relief – Home Remedies
- Inhaling steam with vapours of Eucalyptus oil,
- A glass of warm milk with a pinch of ginger and turmeric powder and ripe grape juice in room temperature are excellent decongestant.
- Herbal tea which is a very good antioxidant and an antihistamine.
- Fruits rich in vitamins A and C (both of which have anti-inflammatory effects)
- Garlic and ginger which are antioxidants and anti-inflammatory by nature could be the other home remedial alternatives for sinus headache relief.
- Yoga: Yoga is an ancient practice of a healthy mind and body, many will attest that this form of exercise is effective in relieving pain including sinus headache. Yoga exercises like Pranayam and Surya Namaskar, along with Bhujangasana, Sarvangasana, and Uttanasana are very effective in relieving sinus headaches.
To sum up, along with medications of choice, what is equally important is to alter your lifestyle. Relaxed and de-stressed life will actively contribute towards any form of sinus headache relief.